Aberdeen Biscuits – From Ullapool!
Very quick biscuits to make, these Aberdeen biscuits nevertheless always pass the three-quarters/one-quarter office test – 75% gone within 15 minutes of sending the email to alert my colleagues of their presence. Special thanks to Cindy Forbes, a watercolourist on the Bridge House Arts course, for this recipe.
This is what to do:
- 225g/8 oz/1 cup butter (just under a European pack of butter)
- 225g/8. oz/just over a cup Demerara sugar, plus a little more to sprinkle over
- 225g/8 oz/1¼ cups sultanas
- 225g/8 oz/1½ cups self raising flour (or 3 teaspoons of baking powder and the same amount of plain flour)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (bottom right oven of aga)
- Melt the butter, and the sugar in a saucepan
- add the sultanas
- simmer for 3 minutes .
- add the flour and eggs and stir well
- cool and put blobs onto a greased baking tray
- Sprinkle a little more Demerara on the top
- Bake for anything between 10-30 minutes! I’m afraid I cannot be more exact. To check if they are ready, insert a skewer in middle. If it comes out clean they’re ready
- leave them to cool
photograph of the sunset at Ullapool © Jacqui Eggar at The Brand Scout