Lake Palace Indian creamy chicken with almonds, cashews, coriander and cinnamon
Decades ago we visited the Lake Palace hotel in Udaipur and it lived up to every expectation… I could imagine myself a maharani looking serenely out over the lake and into the misty, mountainous, distance.
This dish is a rich white dish to match the gleaming whiteness of the hotel where it’s served (this recipe is inspired by one published by the chef Ramesh Dogra) – the chicken is enveloped in cream, milk, yoghurt and nuts.
Recipe for Indian creamy chicken with almonds, cashews, coriander and cinnamon
- 1400g/3 lbs mini chicken fillets (or use chicken breasts but slice smaller)
- 2 tsps Indian korma paste
- 480ml/2 cups of milk – or more if it seems to need it
- 150g/5 oz butter
- 10-20g/½-1 oz cinnamon sticks – a pack or jar (make sure it’s cinnamon, not cassia)
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 24 green cardamom pods, crushed, husks removed – just use the seeds.
- 3 banana shallots – peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground fresh ginger
- 4 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed with 2 tsp smoked salt
- 100g/¾cup ground almonds
- 3 tbsp yoghurt
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsps cornflour
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 150g/5 oz cashew nuts, roughly chopped and dry fried
- 1 tsp smoked salt and some freshly ground black pepper
- Poach the chicken, covered in foil, very gently in the milk for five to ten minutes. If the milk splits, don’t worry – the cornflour will sort that out at the end.
- Heat the butter in a wok and add the cinnamon, cumin seeds and cardamom seeds – fry until the cumin seeds begin to crackle.
- Add the shallot, and fry gently another five minutes. Add the ginger and the garlic. Fry another couple of minutes.
- Add most of the yoghurt, cream, and the poached chicken with all its liquid. Add two tbsps cornflour (dissolved in a little water in an egg cup) and mix in well. Warm through, allowing the mixture to thicken a little. Add the Indian korma paste.
- Taste, and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve, garnished with a dollop of the remaining yoghurt and the coriander and cashews.