Peach, sheeps’ cheese and basil salad
The salty tanginess of the strong cheese cuts through the sweetness of the peach exquisitely. Both the basil and the pepper add depth.
If you like you can grill the peaches first.
Ideally serve with cachaça-soaked (or rum-soaked) chicken and some oozing garlic bread. Or simply with prosciutto and some crusty bread to soak up the juices.
Recipe for peach, sheeps’ cheese and basil salad
- 2 ripe peaches, sliced and, if you like, grilled or barbecued
- 2 tbsp nut oil – walnut or hazelnut
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts or pecans, dry fried
- 30g strong tasting, hard sheeps’ cheese – I use a wonderful, aged Fiore Sardo or a Manchego would do
- a few torn basil leaves
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- generous grinds of Indonesian long pepper
- Arrange the peach slices on a plate.
- Scatter over the nuts.
- Drizzle over the oil.
- Grind over the pepper.
- Tear over the basil.
- And artistically drop droplets of the pomegranate molasses around the peaches and the plate.
Below, listen to Billie Marten singing Peach.