Blank canvas two peas and pumpkin seed salad
This recipe is for a sort of contradiction in terms – an interesting and original green salad! It’s very good in its own right – the sugar snap peas and the seeds give crunch and texture, while the yoghurt and avocado give rich, creamy undertones, and the cheese a light saltiness and zing.
But as the basis to a main course salad using leftovers it is second to none.
I added some leftover Ukrainian Vampire chicken and the Basmati which went with it and the Saucy Dressings’ Chief Taster remarked that it was one of my ‘best salads for a long time’, an opinion seconded by the SD Chief Correspondent.
But it is equally good with slivers of cold rare roast beef and chopped and fried at a high temperature roast potatoes.
And it’s also good with sea bass and cold, chopped pasta.
Recipe for blank canvas two peas and pumpkin seed salad
- 160g sugar snap peas
- 150g/1½ cups frozen peas
- 2 little gem lettuces
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, or mixed munchy seeds
- 1 large avocado, peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp grated cheese
- 120ml/½ cup yoghurt
- 120ml/½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper – nb – this salad needs a lot of salt – a generous sprinkling of Maldon would be good.
- Boil a kettle and pour the contents into a saucepan along with the two types of peas.
- Boil for two minutes then drain and refresh under cold running water
- Slice the two baby gem vertically, each into eight
- Mix all ingredients together in a big wooden salad bowl