Pretty and Pronto Pickled Cucumber
Pickled cucumber acts as a perfect foil for oily smoked fish – smoked salmon or mackerel for example. This goes well, for example, with A Sixties-Style Smoked Salmon Cheesecake.
You can add herbs – dill, coriander or mint go well. And you can add spices – coriander seeds for example.
Recipe for pretty and pronto pickled cucumber
Serves about 12 – but, of course, it will keep a day or so
- 1 large cucumber – or two of the knobbly Lebanese type which have more flavour
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar – or, I use white balsamic condiment which is a bit sweeter and more syrupy
- 1 tsp textured salt, such as Maldon
- 2 tsps caster sugar
- Freshly ground black pepper – or grind four or five Indonesian long peppercorns in a pestle and mortar and use those
- Slice the cucumber and put them into a medium-sized colander. Alternatively you can carve the cucumber into ribbons using a simple julienne peeler, or if you have one, a spiraliser.
- Add the vinegar and the seasoning and leave to marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Squeeze out the cucumber, and pat dry with kitchen towel.