Superior Sesame Spinach – the Secret is in the Sake
A very quick, slightly Asian, way of cooking spinach.
- 600g/1 lb 5 oz spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (dry-fry them yourself if you can’t get toasted or you could use furikake)
- 5 tbsp tahini paste
- 5 tbsp good quality soy sauce – NB it’s important it’s good quality – it should be thick, not watery
- 2 tbsp sake
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 3 tsp sugar
- Mix the tahini paste, the soy sauce, the sake, the cider vinegar and the sugar together in a bottle and shake well. Put it somewhere warm – it should be warmer than room temperature.
- Boil a full kettle, wash the spinach, put it in a colander in the sink and pour the boiling water over the spinach.
- Drain the spinach well.
- Pour over the sauce, sprinkle over the sesame seeds and serve.