This is a slightly unexpected mix – the soft avocado; the fleshy, sweet mango; and the bright citrusy orange and lime – but it works brilliantly. As a salad, it’s a keeper.
If you want to make the whole thing ahead of time, do everything except peeling and slicing the avocado which will turn brown. If you really want to add it, take the juice of one of the limes and dowse any avocado flesh exposed to the air with the juice – that will keep it green for half an hour or so.
Avocado, mango and citrus salad
Serves – 6
- 2 x 80g/3 oz bags of peppery leaves: rocket, watercress, radicchio,
- 3 avocadoes
- 2 mangoes
- 1 orange
- 200g/7 oz feta cheese
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- Smoked salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Small bunch of coriander – 20g/1 oz
- Put the salad leaves into a salad bowl.
- Peel and cut up the mangoes – for the easiest way to do this see the clip at the bottom of this post.
- Cut the peel off the orange, slice and de-pip – for the best way to do this, go to this post.
- Snip over the spring onions including quite a bit of the green part.
- Crumble over the feta cheese.
- Snip over the coriander.
- Mix the dressing – the olive oil, the zest and juice of the limes, and the seasoning.
- At the last minute peel and slice in the avocado. Add the dressing, and toss well.