Saucy Chicken with Mushrooms and Tarragon
Serve this with Police Dog Hogan Inspired Magnificent Mustard Morsels, and substitute the oregano for fresh, chopped tarragon (or dried if you can’t get it). Or alternatively serve with pasta – noodles go well.
Also serve a green salad – for example, Soft and Crunchy Tatsoi Salad.
Recipe for Chicken with Mushrooms and Tarragon
- 4 chicken breasts – about 150 – 200g/5-7 oz each
- 300g/11 oz mushrooms
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Olive oil for frying
- Walnut or two of butter
- 2 tbsps plain flour
- 180ml/¾ cup chicken stock – made with that amount of boiling water plus a chicken stock cube or a heaped teaspoon of stock powder
- 160 ml/⅔ cup milk
- 80 ml/⅓ cup double cream
- A few sprigs of fresh tarragon, or, if you can’t find it, use dried. If you buy a packet you can use the rest of the tarragon in the Magnificent Mustard Morsels or in the pasta you serve with the chicken.
- Smoked salt and Indonesian long pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Brown the chicken breasts in the olive oil in a medium-sized saucepan, and then transfer them to an ovenproof casserole which has a lid
- Meanwhile clean and chop the mushrooms
- Fry the onion in the saucepan and when it’s soft add the mushrooms and butter
- Meanwhile, while you’re waiting for the onion to soften, put the cream into a small bowl and chop the leaves of three or four sprigs of tarragon. Add most to the cream to infuse, retaining a couple of tarragon springs for garnishing at the end. Season.
- Once the onions are soft, sift the flour into them, stir in well and continue to cook for a minute or two longer
- Slowly stir in the stock, ensuring no lumps are allowed to form. Do the same with the milk.
- Bring the sauce to the boil, pour over the chicken, cover, and put the whole thing in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, add the tarragon-infused cream and cook gently for another quarter of an hour before serving.
- Serve, sprinkling over the remaining chopped tarragon.