Chicken, Raspberry And Asparagus Salad
for two – good served hot – but also cold so you could make double quantities and have two very different meals. If you do this, don’t forget to reserve half the dressing for the second meal.
- 120g/about a cup basmati and wild rice (buy Tilda ready mixed)
- 1 chicken stock cube
- left over chicken – equivalent of two breasts. (or poach two breasts for ten minutes in a mix of cider and stock made with water and a stock cube)
- 2 red onions – peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 75g THIN asparagus – not the massive tree trunk stuff
- 75g raspberries
- handful of rocket
- 1 tbsp redcurrent jelly
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- salt and pepper
- warm the plates and the raspberries, and the left over chicken
- fry the red onions in a tbsp. of olive oil in a saucepan, once beginning to caramelise take out and keep warm with the other ingredients
- add another tbsp of olive oil to the saucepan and add the rice and wild rice
- fry for about two minutes
- add two cups stock made from hot water and the stock cube (if you’ve poached the chicken, use the poaching liquid and make up to the right amount with cider).
- snap off the inedible ends of the asparagus and put it in a sieve over the rice, cover with the saucepan lid – steam the asparagus for 10-15 minutes depending on how thick it is. Keep it warm with everything else. Keep four asparagus spears and about ten raspberries to one side for garnishing.
- cook the rice (with the lid on) for an additional ten minutes.
- make the dressing
- mix everything except the garnish in with the rice including the dressing.
- garnish artistically
2014 © Saucy Dressings