Fried courgettes with herbed ricotta and toasted walnuts
Here is a quick recipe for a hearty Mediterranean lunch using courgettes – the toasted walnuts and the walnut oil lift it well out of the ordinary. Alternatively, you can serve it as a side with roast lamb.
If you don’t have time to dry-fry the walnuts it’s not the end of the world, but follow this link to discover why dry frying brings out the flavour of these lovely nuts.
You can serve this warm, or at room temperature.
Recipe for fried courgettes, with herbed ricotta and toasted walnuts
- about three courgettes (450g/1 lb)
- olive oil for frying
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed with a little salt
- about 3 stems of mint
- about 3 stems of basil
- 250g/1 cup ricotta
- 1 generous tbsp of capers
- 2 tbsps of chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 tbsps walnut oil
- 2 small rolls, or one bigger roll
- Take the ricotta out of the fridge.
- In a large frying pan, dry fry the walnuts for a minute or two. Remove and set aside.
- Warm some olive oil in a frying pan.
- Slice the courgettes into coins and fry quite fiercely – to get golden.
- Meanwhile snip the mint and basil into the ricotta.
- Peel and crush the garlic with some salt if you haven’t already done this, reduce the heat, add the garlic.
- Take the courgettes off the heat. Mix in the walnut oil, the sherry vinegar, and the capers.