X-rated Flaming Carrots with Tequila
This amazing recipe comes from John Stolarczyk’s fascinating and incredible site, The World Carrot Museum.
I have to admit initially I was just attracted by the idea of the tequila and the exciting flames, but having tried it I can say that, rather surprisingly, it’s awfully good. I always think of tequila as being a little bitter and harsh, but I suppose the alcohol is burnt off and the result is rich and sweet, but not cloying at all. The technique seems to bring out the natural sweetness of the carrots. It’s certainly a piece of theatre…. but it’s a worthwhile piece of theatre.
I’ve adapted the recipe to make it easier…. and to include some improvements.
Recipe for X-rated flaming carrots with tequila
- 450g/1 lb organic carrots
- Two or three walnuts of butter
- A little fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- ¼ tsp Aleppo pepper
- 120ml/½ cup tequila
- Warm the tequila (if you have an aga, put it on the warming plate – otherwise warm it gently and carefully in the microwave).
- Cut the carrots into ½ cm/¼” diagonal slices.
- In a smallish frying pan melt the butter and add the carrots. Cook gently for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt, Aleppo pepper and dill, and stir again.
- Get your long lighter, or long match ready – it’s best if you can enlist help at this stage. Make sure you know where your kitchen fireblanket is!
- Turn up the heat.
- Pour the tequila into the carrots and set alight immediately.
- Serve when the flames have died down.
For a post on John Stolarczyk’s site, The World Carrot Museum, follow this link.
Listen to This Girl Is On Fire, by Alicia Keys