Fabulous Flourless Cauliflower Cheese
I find flour-based sauces can be a bit, well….floury….stodgy, and mainly for that reason I seek out alternatives. See, for example, Ferragosto Lasagne Without Béchamel.
I’ve tried the same with this version of flourless cauliflower cheese and it works very well. When I can find it I use herbed crème fraîche, sometimes I add a little nutmeg, if I can’t get spring onions I cut a red onion into thin wedges and roast with the cauliflower.
It goes well with chipolata (or normal) sausages, or ham. Also pork fillet steaks. Chief Taster’s comment, “very tasty”.
If you have any leftovers, add stock, dry vermouth, cooked potato… and blend. Voilà, it makes a wonderful soup!
Recipe for Fabulous Flourless Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 small cauliflower – about 650g/1 lb 7 oz
- Olive oil for roasting
- Walnut oil for finishing (optional)
- 100g/1 cup grated gruyere (or any cheese you need to use up)
- 400g/1¾ cups crème fraîche OR mascarpone
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 spring onion
- Spanish sweet smoked paprika
- Mustard to serve
- Preheat the oven to 210ºC.
- Divide the cauliflower into florets and put in an oiled oven-proof dish, drizzle over oil and season, and stir to cover.
- Roast for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile mix the crème fraiche with half the cheese and the mustard.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180ºC. Pour over the crème fraiche mixture, sprinkle over the remaining cheese, and return to the oven for another ten minutes.
- Serve, garnished with some snipped-over spring onion and a dusting of paprika, and extra mustard to serve.