Pesto and cheese packets to accompany a drink
These are quickly made pesto and cheese canapes, and very popular. They also freeze very well.
Recipe for pesto and cheese packets
Makes about 24
- 85g/⅓ cup pesto (Belazu makes a very good one)
- 240g/9 oz/
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 4 sheets of filo pastry
- Parmesan, or other hard cheese, for grating over, and some sesame seeds
- olive oil or melted butter
- Take the filo pastry sheets out of the freezer and allow to reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 210°.
- Line a large baking tray with silicone paper.
- Mix together the cream cheese and the pesto.
- Cut the pastry into strips just over a foot long, and a couple of inches/5 cm wide.
- Put a teaspoon of the pesto-cheese mixture on the end of one strip, and fold the end over to make a triangle. Then fold over and over until you nearly reach the top of the strip. Moisten with oil or butter, and finish folding. Crimp gently to get the triangle to stick together.
- Repeat until you have used up all the filling and pastry.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and sesame seeds.
- Put in the oven for five or six minutes. Watch them like a hawk. If they still haven’t turned golden when you take them out, return for a few more minutes until they are.