Special cauliflower roasted in turmeric oil with black nigella seeds
This is quick-and-easy cauliflower made a bit special.
The key ingredients are the turmeric which has a wonderful earthy, musky flavour; and the nigella seeds which also have a sort of earthy bitterness, which brings out the nuttiness of the cauliflower. You can find out more about nigella seeds here.
Be careful with the turmeric though, you don’t want it on your clothes, it stains like crazy.
This way of doing cauliflower is best served fresh from the oven – it doesn’t heat up well because it loses its crispiness and goes soggy when left to rest. It also doesn’t freeze.
If you have any left over, add to a salad, together with some feta.
Cauliflower roasted in turmeric oil with black nigella seeds
Serves – 4
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 4 tbsps sesame oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsps nigella seeds
- Smoked salt and a pinch of Urfa pepper flakes
- 2 tbsps munchy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Separate the cauliflower into small florets and put into a medium-sized mixing bowl (don’t try and cut down on washing up by mixing in the roasting tin – it doesn’t work), together with everything else. Mix well together.
- Put the coated florets into a small roasting tin – one just big enough to contain the florets all lying flat. Roast for 15 minutes. Take out, turn, add a bit more oil if necessary. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Serve, with a few munchy seeds sprinkled over the top.