Savoury bacon rolls
These savoury bacon rolls are different and easy. They’re great with drinks, and they also make a good starter – serve three each with a little dressed salad as garnish.
Recipe for savoury bacon rolls
- 1 x 215g/8 oz sheet puff pastry
- 250g/9 oz thin cut streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 14 (a small jar) sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 200g/7 oz feta
- 1 egg – beaten
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs (basil or thyme) if you have them, dried herbes de Provence if you don’t
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Mix together the sundried tomatoes, the herbs and the bacon.
- Crumble in the feta
- Lightly flour a granite or marble surface and lay out your sheet of puff pastry on it, roll a little thiner and as long as you can. You’re aiming for two long rectangles about 10 x 40 cm (4 x 16 inches) each. Divide each vertically in your head, and scatter half the filling over the left hand half of each. Brush the right hand edge with the beaten egg. Fold the right hand edge over the filling, and seal it onto the left hand one. Pinch together either with fingers or with tines of a fork.
- Brush the pastry with the rest of the egg, and then cut into 3 cm/1.5“ lengths
- Arrange on a silicon-lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.