“Serve warm or chilled with Greek yoghurt, porridge or muesli; orchard fruits or summer berries simmered in sugar with vanilla pods, cinnamon and zest. (7)”
-Kate Mepham, GK Crossword in The Telegraph
This rose petal and blueberry compote is a great addition to any breakfast – I serve it with thick, creamy yoghurt (from The Collective) and granola. But it’s also good on pancakes and with porridge.
You can use frozen or fresh blueberries for this recipe.
If it looks a bit dry initially when you start to cook, add a little red vermouth to the fruit.
Recipe for rose petal and blueberry compote
Makes about two-thirds of a cup
- 150g/5 oz blueberries
- 60g/2 oz golden caster sugar
- juice and zest of half a lime
- 1 tsp dried rose petals – Steenbergs is good
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce to a thick syrup consistency – about twenty minutes.