This is a very simple and quick recipe. It’s a good way of using up some of the more elderly cheese you may find lurking in your fridge.
Recipe for golden, breaded and smoked haddock
- 4 smoked haddock fillets (approximately 180g/6 oz each)
- 150g/5 oz butter (three- fifths of a brick)
- 2 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 100g/2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsps grated cheese – cheddar ideally
- small handful chives
- 1 lemon, cut into eight wedges
- smoked salt and Indonesian long pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Mix the butter and mustard together and season.
- In another bowl mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and most of the chives (save some for garnish).
- Butter a baking tray (or better, use a silicone sheet – look at the featured image to see what happens – a silicone sheet will save on the washing up; or you could use foil).
- Place the haddock fillets on the tray and spread the butter-mustard mix over them.
- Sprinkle over the breadcrumb mix.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake for ten minutes. Then turn the oven up to 210°C, return the fish to the oven uncovered and roast for about five minutes until the breadcrumbs have turned golden.
- Serve with a couple of lemon wedges each, and garnished with the remaining chives.