Chicken Livers on Toast From the Grain de Sel in Dole
We went to have dinner at the Grain de Sel in Dole, a great restaurant whose attractions are primarily its food, and also its position, looking out over the canal.
While there we had some amuse-bouches of chicken liver mousse on toast – marvellous. I have managed, I think, to reproduce it fairly faithfully.
If you want to extend this into more a light lunch it goes well with a salad of watercress and capers.
Recipe for Chicken Livers on Toast
For four with drinks
- 225g/8 oz chicken livers
- 5 leaves of sage
- 1 fat clove of garlic crushed with a little smoked salt
- Indonesian long black pepper – or ordinary freshly ground black pepper
- 60ml/¼ cup marsala – or you could substitute sherry
- butter for frying
- sourdough toast
- Chop the livers while you heat the butter and the crushed garlic gently in a medium frying pan.
- Add the livers and fry gently – they should still be a little pink in the centre.
- Crush the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar, or grind it in. Add the marsala. Make sure the mix is moist.
- Serve on toasted French bread…or sourdough. Snip over the sage.