This is one of those recipes which passes from hand to hand. I’ve handed out, and emailed it to a dozen people asking for it…. You would never think of mixing cranberry and soy sauces, but it works brilliantly.
And it is super-simple.
Serves – 4
- 400g/14 oz cranberry sauce – or you can make your own
- 4 tbsps rich, dark, thick soy sauce – go here for what to look for
- juice and zest of a lemon (or 4 tbsps lemon juice)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, depending on size, peeled and crushed with a little salt (not too much because of all the soy sauce)
- 50g/2 oz butter
- 4 portions of chicken (big enough for one person each), skin on
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the first five ingredients into a saucepan, and bring the lot to the boil. Simmer gently.
- Put the chicken portions, skin up, in a greased roasting tin, or a baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken portions and cook for half an hour, basting half way through.
- The chicken skin should have turned golden. If it hasn’t, turn the oven up to 210°C and roast for another quarter of an hour.