The Quickest Way To Peel Tomatoes (or Peaches) If You Really Really Need To
Life Is Too Short and there is a lot of goodness in the skin of a tomato – both good reasons for never peeling them.
But sometimes it just has to be done.
This method also works for peaches.
In that event, this is what to do:
- Using a serrated tomato knife score a shallow cross into the bottom of the tomato.
- Boil some water and soak the tomato in it for about 30 seconds, or until you see the skin at the cross beginning to lift
- Plunge into a bowl of iced water for about five minutes or if you are very short of time, run under very cold water
- You will find the corners of the cross you have made have become raised and you should be able to just peel them back
- If it doesn’t, then score around the ‘equator’ of the tomato with the same knife
- The rest of the skin should come easily away then. If it doesn’t, just slough off with the knife.
You may also be interested in how to peel an orange, the quickest, easiest, neatest way….follow this link.