Cuminy salad of avocado, black beans – and leftover cooked chicken
This is another excellent way of using up leftover chicken, with the black beans making it seem very intended and exotic, and the avocado adding a creamy, rich texture to the whole.
Particularly if you add some prosciutto, this really is a meal in itself.
Recipe for cuminy salad of avocado, black beans – and leftover cooked chicken
Serves 2 – lunch in itself
- 1 x 400g/14 oz tin black beans
- 1 large beefsteak tomato – about 200g/7 oz
- 1 avocado
- 2 spring onions
- 100g/4 oz cooked chicken
- 60g/2 oz salad leaves
- Juice and zest of a lime
- ½ tsp – or more if you like the taste – cumin seeds
- 4 tbsps/¼ cup/60 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed with 1 tsp smoked salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, or Urfa pepper if you have it
- A few slices of prosciutto (optional)
- Dry fry the cumin seeds, crush in a pestle and mortar if you have the time.
- Make a dressing with the oil, lime zest and juice, pepper and the salted garlic. Add the still warm cumin seeds.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Empty the salad leaves into a medium-sized salad bowl.
- Core the tomato and cut roughly into chunks, add to the bowl.
- Cut the chicken, add to the bowl.
- At the last moment (do this too far ahead and it will start to go brown), peel and stone the avocado, cut into chunks, add to the bowl.
- Top with rolled up prosciutto, if using. Serve.