“Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.”Ursula Le Guin, Medium.com
This is a sort of comfort food alternative to mashed potatoes. It goes particularly well with ham and red cabbage or a salad of artichoke hearts, frisée, black olives and lime and chilli cashews.
Cheesy, Creamy Bread to go with Ham or Gammon
Serves – 4
- 4 tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 2 slices of farmhouse white bread
- 3 eggs
- 170ml/¾ cup double cream
- Smoked salt
- Indonesian long pepper
- 50g/2 oz/½ cup grated cheese – cheddar is fine
- Preheat the oven to 210°C.
- Core and halve the tomatoes and put them in the bottom of a shallow oven-proof serving dish greased with olive oil, drizzle the tomatoes with more olive oil and roast for 20 minutes.
- Beat the eggs, whisk in the cream and season.
- Stir in half the cheese.
- Once the tomatoes are done turn the oven down to 180°C.
- Cut the slices of bread into quarters diagonally and place over the tomatoes.
- Pour over the egg and cream mixture.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and bake for half an hour.