This is a welcome change from the usual creamy dips but the only snag is that it is a rather unprepossessing colour! However, if you top with a dollop of cream cheese and sprinkle over for fresh, chopped herbs or walnuts no one will notice.
Serve with crisps, crudités, or warm triangles of pitta bread.
Recipe for tapenade with cauliflower and cream cheese dip
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 banana shallot
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed with 1 tsp smoked salt
- 3 tbsp tapenade – use ready bought, or make your own
- Grinds of black pepper
- 2 tbsp Philadelphia cream cheese
- Olive oil for roasting
- 1 tsp walnut oil
- A few chopped herbs or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Oil a roasting tray
- Split out the cauliflower into small florets, drizzle over olive oil, spread out on the tray.
- Peel and chop the shallot, sprinkle together with the garlic over the cauliflower, drizzle over a bit more.
- Cover with foil and bake for half an hour.
- Put into a large mixing bowl (or in your blender).
- Add all the other ingredients, except a tbsp of cream cheese. Blitz.
- Put into a pretty bowl and garnish with remaining cream cheese, and some fresh herbs of roughly chopped walnuts.