This is another of the recipes included in an old folder of my mother’s which I found recently during a clear out. So far all these recipes have been consistently excellent, and this one is no exception.
Recipe for My Mother’s Raspberry Bombe
- 300g/10 oz raspberries –frozen and defrosted
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 300 ml/1¼ cups double cream
- 160 ml/⅔ cup single cream
- 120g/4 oz meringue pieces
- squeeze of lemon
- sprigs of mint
- Mix 225g/1⅓ cups of the raspberries with the icing sugar, mash together.
- In another bowl whisk both creams together to soft peaks.
- Add the meringue pieces to the cream together with a squeeze of lemon.
- Pour in the raspberry mix, swirl for a marbled effect.
- Place in a 300ml/2 pint pudding basin and freeze for at least four hours.
- About 40 minutes before serving take it out and put it in the fridge.
- About 10 minutes before serving take it out of the fridge and put it upside down onto a flat plate to serve. Joggle gently to get it to fall out of the bowl. If it doesn’t come out try putting a tea towel in hot water, wring out, and put over the bowl. Or alternatively try simply loosening the bombe from the edge of the bowl with a flexible palette knife.
- Surround and decorate with the rest of the raspberries and the sprigs of mint.
Music to cook to
Claudio Villa sings Mamma