This is a very useful ‘one-pot’ salad. The prawns provide the protein, the beans the carbohydrate, and the avocado provides a significant contribution to your five-a-day.
The mint and the lime provides brightness.
The black sesame seeds provide visual pizzazz.
There are some optional extras. Peas make the whole thing a bit more summery. And lardons provide salty sweetness which pairs particularly well with the prawns.
If you are catering for a hungry crowd, supply also some soft warm rolls.
For a Surprising Summer Salad of Avocado, Artichoke Hearts, Walnuts and Prawns, follow this link.
Recipe for salad of prawn, bean, avocado and mint
• 100g/4 oz cooked prawns
• 1 x 400g/14 oz tin of white beans – butter or cannellini
• A handful of frozen peas (optional)
• 100 – 130g/4 oz bag soft washed lettuce leaves
• Juice and zest of half a lime
• 1 avocado
• A few mint leaves
• Salt and Urfa pepper flakes or freshly ground pepper
• 1 tbsp black sesame seeds (these are optional but they make the salad look very special)
• 3 tbsps of a good peppery olive oil
• 3 cloves of garlic
• Olive oil for frying
• Lardons – optional
1. Warm a little olive oil in a frying pan, crush the garlic, but don’t bother to peel it. put it in the frying pan together with the prawns (and the lardons if you’re using those too). Begin to warm through gently.
2. Drain the beans, rinse through, and add to the prawns.
3. Season the prawns and beans. Continue to warm through.
4. Empty the bag of salad leaves into a medium salad bowl.
5. Mix the oil and the lime zest and juice together.
6. Take the garlic out of the frying pan and add the prawns and beans to the salad bowl.
7. Peel and slice the avocado, add to the bowl.
8. Toss the whole lot together with the oil and lime juice.
9. Serve, garnished with the mint leaves and the black sesame seeds.