Domini’s luscious lemon pickle chicken and avocado salad
For many years, Tried and Supplied founder, Domini Hogg, has been an avid fan of a particular chicken and avocado mixed with lemon pickle. The tradition has been for it to be served for lunch on a couple of occasions on the run up to Christmas, and for the remaining pickle to appear in her Christmas stocking.
The recipe originally came from the Tracklements website. It could be achieved in a trice using Tracklements’ lemon pickle. Then disaster struck, and the company stopped making it. Nothing daunted though, I contacted Tracklements, and a wonderful lady in the customer service department there gave me the recipe, having scaled it down from the original cooking batches! We give the recipe in another post.
So now it’s not quite such a quick recipe as it was, but the pickle is easy to make, and you can make several jars at once and give the rest as presents.
Over years of enjoying this salad we’ve experimented with different types of carb to go with it. Crusty bread is fine. So too are savoury muffins. But the greatest success has been with puff pastry cheese straws. Go here for how to make those.
Here’s how to make it.
Recipe for Domini’s luscious lemon pickle chicken and avocado salad
Serves – 4
- 3 large chicken breasts (cooked and cut into smallish pieces)
- 1 x 200g jar/1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 x 200 ml tub/1 cup crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp lemon pickle – you buy it, or you can make it
- 3 avocados, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 spring onions
- juice and zest of ½ lemon
- sprinkling of paprika (optional)
- 2 x half-baked half baguettes; or some puff pastry cheese straws
- Mix all the ingredients except the bread or cheese straws; and the lemon zest and spring onions, together. Put into a pretty serving bowl.
- Garnish with the lemon zest and snip over the spring onions. Dust with paprika.
- Serve with the just-baked bread, or the cheese straws… ideally warmed up.