Mango and lambs’ lettuce salad
“Her breath is like honey spiced with clovesFrom a 12th century Indian poem, quoted in Isabel Allende’s Aphrodite, A Memoir of the Senses
Her mouth delicious as a ripened mango…”
I first invented this salad because I wanted something fruity and fresh to follow the Turbot with Truffled Mash which I was serving.
It was such a hit that I find I slot it in to all sorts of other menus.
Recipe for mango and lambs’ lettuce salad
- 100g/4 oz lambs’ lettuce
- 1 small mango
- 1 tbsp thick balsamic vinegar (I use Belazu…or Burren Balsamic’s incredible gold leaf condiment)
- 3 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tsp smoked salt
- a few grinds of Indonesian long pepper
- 100g/3 oz/¾ cup cashew nuts – optional
- Put the lambs’ lettuce into a wooden salad bowl.
- Peel and chop the mango (go here to see how) and put on top.
- Sprinkle over the cashew nuts if you are using.
- Mix the dressing with the remaining ingredients.
- Dress and serve.